Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Day After

It's the day after my mom's funeral. The sun is shining and it's partly cloudy. The weather gives no hint of the activities yesterday. It was a long day yesterday. I woke up early to be at the funeral home before anyone else got there, and still my cousin was already there waiting for me when I arrived.

I didn't feel as if I had done all that much, yet by the end of the day yesterday I was completely exhausted by the day's events. I think I expected to feel differently as if some huge burden would be lifted by my shoulders by having completed all the necessary duties to my mother. But instead I felt the opposite. I felt a heavy weight tugging on my soul, and found it difficult to take each step.

I thought with my exhaustion, it would be easy to fall asleep, but instead I tossed and turned most of the night. I've been told to take it one day at a time, and parts of it will get better and parts of it won't. I've also been told to remember a little bit of my mom each day, so I never forget. Both good pieces of advice that are hard to take in with her passing so recent.

No comments: