Friday, April 27, 2012

Why be a parent?

As a gay man, I'm often asked why I would even want to be a parent in the first place.  For me it's a simple answer.  Something deep down inside me always knew I would be a parent.  Partly it might have something to do with my cultural upbringing, but it was also innate, a part of me that I couldn't deny.  After having our daughter it proved so true, that I couldn't have imagined a life without becoming a parent.  That feeling was really hard to describe and explain, until I read this piece on Quora this week, "Why Do Some Humans Not Want Children?".  Jonathan Brill, the author explains exactly why you shouldn't become a parent, but then explains all this is why he is a parent and how he wouldn't change it for the world.  That's exactly the way I feel about my daughter too!

No comments: